March 17, 2008

Post game commentary

It is amazing how grown men and women will react when they hear the announcer at the Jazz games say "Jazz fans, let's hear some noise!" or "Ball toss, make some noise!" "Free t-shirt, make some noise!" "On your feet Jazz fans!"

My thoughts at past sporting events to these kind of spirit boosters has always been something like "No, I don't want to make any noise and I'd rather stay in my seat thank you." "Please people in front of me, why don't you just sit down so we can all enjoy the game without having to stand up and sit down over and over again, all game long" "I already have enough t-shirts, but thank you."

Then there is David.

Every time they say "On your feet Jazz fans!" he is up and cheering. He shouts DEFENSE as if the game depended on it during most games. He is up on his feet when he sees the t-shirts falling from the sky with mini parachutes, and especially during sling shot ball tosses.

His enthusiasm has rubbed off on me - kind of. I'll get up every once in a while now. And if I see a frisbee coming in my direction, I won't duck as often. I'll even clap and shout the DEFENSE cheer sometimes too.

Then tonight I noticed myself playing tetris on my cell phone during a very close game in the 4th quarter, and I realized that I will never care about sports like David. It's just not in me!

But I did record the new season of the Bachelor and plan on being a real fan of it all season long.

12 comments:

Becky said...

I'm with you! Sit down already,people! You look dumb (except David doesn't when he cheers). I'm the same way at concerts. Do I really have to stand up and sway??

Miss Stace said...

It must be in the family. Lat night at dinner Dad said, "I still can't believe that MY children are so unathletic...."

I love the Bachelor...WooWoo!

Karen said...

Um ... I'm the loudest person in any stadium for any sport. Is that bad?

Becky said...

Karen! It's just that you're into sprots and we aren't! Plus, you have your son to cheer for! I like using exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!

Becky said...

Sports. Not sprots. Duh.

Alex DGreat said...

Michelle, you are hillarious! I love to cheer at games -- it makes it more exciting. But then again I am easily distracted by the cheering and forget the game is going on.

Anonymous said...

Of the few games I've been to, my favorite thing is to watch the people. People are interesting and crazy. Especially so at wild events. But....nobody watch me please!!

Anonymous said...

Actually that last comment was from me, your mom!

jackie said...

This is for your last post. I was going to tell you that if you're looking for more ideas for blogging, have a baby and that's all you'll blog about! You can see by looking at my blog!

Alice said...

Ha. But you are such a good sport going with David. I myself enjoy a good game of tetris.

And true confession, I too watch the Bachelor.

The Rookie said...

The Bachelor IS British this season. That always helps.

I won't even comment on sporting events. I'm glad some people appreciate them. For me, however, the best parts of any sporting event are the people watching and the concession stand nachos.

Maigen said...

Hi Michelle! I like your blog! Good stuff! :)