August 20, 2009

Eating


We had Jackson's 9 month check up and he weighs 18.8 lbs and is 29 inches. He also has an ear infection, poor guy. I didn't even know - he hasn't been acting fussy or pulling on his ears or anything. So we are fixing the ear infection. Oh and he has a black eye! Poor little guy. He was couch surfing and then grabbed onto a small table, pulling it down on top of him. It hit his cheek - and he is fine, but it sure left him with a shiner!

He is a skinny baby! The doctor said not to worry, but I am worried. He used to be a good eater, but he has grown tired of baby food and will now rarely eat it - except for sweet potatoes every now and then. So we just give him little bites of what we are eating, and little fruits and vegetables. But for the most part he is just not interested. I know I just need to keep at it and not give up (of course), but does anyone have tips out there for foods that he might like or what they have done with their children? He still drinks his milk fine, and loves apple juice, but he ate a few grapes yesterday and some cheerios - but that is all he would even consider. The baby food did end up all over his body and hair though, so that's a relief.

5 comments:

Becky said...

Poor kid with the black eye! It will be a first of many, I'm sure.
Try some little pieces of meats..chicken, ground beef. ?? Don't give him too much juice..that could be filling him up and making him have no appetite for the rest of his meals.
Just keep trying and try not to worry! Megan was always really skinny too.

The Singer Family said...

My mary was a skinny mini. Just keep trying--she's an awesome eater now at age 6, probably the best of all my kids. Annie hasn't done ANY baby food since about 8 months. Whatever we eat for dinner, I just cut up and put on her tray. I try to feed her too. Just when he starts doing well, he'll stop eating again around age 2-3. Fun times. AAAAAAAHHHHH! :)

Jeri Dawn said...

Ha ha. You know, one thing that I figured out is that there will always be something to worry about. Pretty soon you'll be worrying about something else and have completely forgotten about the eating issue! Just keep trying...My little sister lived on cheerios for a year, I think. Good luck!

alcorrea5 said...

I am with Becky, give less juice and it may jump start some appetite. But it sounds as if he is just busy exploring. He wants big people food so chop that up - it's a sign of graduation. But don't worry too much he comes from tiny folks. All of my girls weren't any more than 22 pounds at their 24 month check-up.

The Dummers said...

Will did the same thing a few months ago. He was only in the 2nd %tile for weight at his 9 month! I discovered he really wanted to feed himself. I just started plopping things on his tray and he went at it. Not much made it to his mouth at first, but he's getting really good. Maybe Jackson has an independent streak, too.