November 28, 2010

So football and basketball are on A LOT at our house this time of year - and during most of the year. I deal with it OK and mostly just tune it out.

When I do watch I'm full of questions which I think starts to annoy David after the 8th "What does a quarter back do again?" and the 245th "What just happened?"

Sometimes David will hand me the remote and tell me to "Go for it." If its a game I can tell he is really into I'll won't take the remote and let him enjoy himself. But if he's not too into it, or insists that I take charge I will try to find something we can both enjoy watching - The Walking Dead, Big Bang theory - anyone? Or a family show for all of us.

BUT - very rarely, I will turn it to something that I would normally watch when no one else is home to avoid the ridicule from my boys (America's next top model).

Saturday I was so fed up with sports I gladly took the remote when offered and turned it to a show I had been saving for my precious alone hours. A nerdy PBS Great Performances special celebrating Sondheim! Audra McDonald! Patti LuPone, Bernadette Peters, Mandy Patinkin!! I truly was looking forward to this show, but I also wanted to torture Jasper and David. I would compare my complete disinterest and lack of understanding of all sports - with their disinterest and complete dislike of Broadway.

David was remarkably silent (and kept his mockery to himself) but Jasper was less discreet.
"WHAT in the CRAP are you making us watch this for?"
"What in the CRAP."

(I have tried for years to get Jasper to stop using the word CRAP - but is a lost cause and I get sick of hearing myself telling him to stop. So since it is better than the alternative (slightly) sometimes I choose not to hear it. Shame on me)

"He sounds like a girl!"
"Look at his HEAD, it is so BIG!"
"HA HA, his face is so UGLY when he sings, ha ha ha!"
"I did not understand a word of that - I have no clue what is going on."
"Who listens to this, oh my crap."
"Is this opera?"
"She is kind of old."
"Can I go to bed early?"

I just smiled. Next week, I'll make him watch my saved ABC Family holiday special "A Boyfriend for Christmas!"

5 comments:

Shelly said...

Hilarious! You are my hero for watching so many sports games. I don't have the patience and (luckily) I also don't have a husband that insists on watching it.

And your PBS special sounds like it was awesome. I'd have watched it with you.

The Dummers said...

Hahahaha!!! I LOVE PBS specials! Sounds like something I would watch! It's your turn! Torture away!

Heather said...

Those Broadway stars DO have really big heads...this post made me laugh out loud. :)

Karen said...

Ha ha ha! Oh my crap that's funny!

Staci said...

Oh my crap - that would have been funny to watch with him! hahah