July 22, 2008

Gremlin Football


Jasper is now officially a Gremlin. . . in football. We finalized his registration today for Hillcrest Football, and his age group is called the Gremlins. He had to weigh in, and then they gave him his helmet and pads, pants and shin things (whatever they are called). I've hardly seen him so excited. He tried on his shoulder pads and helmet, and his coach said to him "now do you want to hit something real bad?" "Uh-huh," Jasper said while nodding. Then his coach asked him if he'd been practicing, running and biking all summer to prepare for football. "Uh-huh" he nodded. In my mind I thought "running? hmm, I don't think so." I think his coach figured most kids his age don't go out running regularly - besides around the yard with their friends. So he told him it wasn't too late to start and to start running and biking everyday. "Okay" Jasper agreed.


This football program seems intense! His practices will start out 5 days a week, a couple of hours a day. Then when school starts he will practice 3 times a week after school. He needs cleats, a mouth guard, and a cup. Since Jasper is so big for his age, he will be a line man, and he is pretty excited about that.


Today when I got home from work he was at a pool with some friends. When he got home, he quickly changed out of his wet clothes, and into dry clothes, as well as into his helmet and pads. He said he needed to get used to wearing them. He's probably right. I think David and I are almost as excited about football as he is.

5 comments:

Karen said...

There are few things in life that get me as excited as football. Let me know if you would like to borrow my megaphone with built in siren.

Go Jasper!

Miss Stace said...

pictures please!!!

The Rookie said...

I LOVE that he is already "getting used to" the uniform. How exciting for him. Go Gremlins!

And I second Staci Lynn...pictures would be great!

Nancy said...

Go Jasper!!

Anonymous said...

Thats soooo awesome.. I dont even know you guys but reading that story makes me think of the first time I played for a football team.