July 7, 2008

I ♥ the Olympics




David and I have been watching the US Olympic trials for the last couple of weeks, and I have to say, I just LOVE the Olympics. I love watching the trials, the competitions, the wins, the losses, the tears. The Olympics are amazing!



This girl is Shannon Rowbury, and the winner of the 1500 m (1 mile). Her time was 3 minutes something, and it was so amazing to watch. She burst through the pack of runners, and as she won the expression on her face was full of so much joy. I cried. I cry watching most Olympic events - because I'm a geek like that.










This girl was in the same race as Shannon above, but didn't qualify for the Beijing. But she was amazing because - look at her! She is 16 years old and she was so fun to watch.










And then . . . there's Dara Torres. She qualified at 41 to go to her 5th Olympics. During the trials she broke multiple American records, including her own. Her first Olympics were in 1984 and she was 15. Can you imagine? 41 isn't that old - but compared to the rest of the competitors who are 16, 17, 20, it must really feel old. She is so inspiring.





5 comments:

Heather said...

I love the Olympics, too. Every time I hear the John Williams theme music, I get goosebumps. And I am always left wondering, "HOW do people do things like that with their bodies??" I feel like it's an accomplishment to take a walk or a run. I can't imagine doing twirls and flips and balancing and diving and having that kind of command...it's amazing.

Becky said...

Wow, their bodies look a lot like mine.

Karen said...

Becky, I was just thinking the same thing! I was thinking about going out for the olympics because of Dara Torres, but age 41 was so last year.

I love the olympics too.

The Rookie said...

I never watch sporting events. Seriously, I see sports are on and I'm usually disappointed...EXCEPT for the Olympics. I don't know what it is but I get all crazy excited and watch all of it that I can fit in. It is just plain exciting, I suppose.

Niki said...

I remember when we watched the Olympics at the apartment. I also remember those nummy Tortilas we use to make!!