October 6, 2008

More Doctor's Orders




So my real doctor ordered me home from work. That's right, I'm being forced to stay home, put my feet up and eat bon bons (well maybe not the bon bon part, but I'm taking liberties).


I went to my weekly pregnancy checkup, and had high blood pressure, some protein in my urine and some rapid weight gain. Then my doctor took a look at my feet and shook his head in pity "those are some of the most swollen feet I've ever seen." So I had to get some blood drawn and then I was sent down to Labor and Delivery for a "non-stress test." What in the heck is a non-stress test? Well I had no idea, but it didn't sound like a big deal.


Meanwhile at home Dave was waiting for me to get home so he could leave and go to Ogden with some friends. He'd been planning this outing for a few weeks. After I was told I had to take these tests, I called and told him to go ahead. "It's just a blood test and some kind of stress test thing, it won't take any time I'm sure. I'll be done in time to pick up Jasper from school and take him to practice. It's no big deal, just go, I'll be fine!" So he reluctantly headed up to Ogden.


After the blood draw I made my way downstairs to Labor and Delivery and told them that my doctor had sent me down for a non-stress test. Okay. Then they gave me all these forms to sign. While handing me each form, the check-in lady would say stuff like "If you give birth today, do you want an epidural?" "If you stay and have the baby, do you want the baby to be immunized with the Hepatitis B vaccine?" "If you end up giving birth, who will the baby's pediatrician be?"

Now I started to freak a little.

Me: You realize I'm just here for the non-stress test right?"

Check-in lady: Yes.

Me: Is this a big deal?

Check-in lady: well, not really. We're making sure everything is okay.

Me: What IS a non-stress test?

Check-in lady: We'll attach some monitors to your belly and listen to him, make sure he is okay, check your blood pressure.

Me: Okay. How long does this usually take?

Check-in lady: Well it depends, it could take 20 minutes, or you could stay and give birth. :)

Now really scared, I called Dave back and told him sorry but I had no idea how long it would take and he better come home. So he of course got freaked out too, and turned right around.

Luckily my blood pressure was back to normal and the baby was fine, so they sent me home after monitoring me and baby for about an hour and gave me strict instructions to take it easy and not return to work. The nurse also admired the state of my feet. "I've never seen feet like that before," she said in awe. I admit I am pretty happy to not be at work this very minute.

It sure made everything seem more real. I will be having this baby very soon. Ahh! I need to get my house clean, I need to pack a bag to take to the hospital. I need to finish the baby dresser, plant some fall bulbs, and do some relaxing.

So, what TV series on DVD do you think I should bring to the hospital with me? Chances are I'll be in labor for a few hours or more. What should I watch to make the time fly? Poll to the right.

Oh, and what do you think, when will I have this baby? Comment and leave your guess on his date of arrival, and weight.

17 comments:

Em said...

Wow. Drama. Are you alright? Do you want to borrow any DVDs to watch?

Jen said...

We brought Harry Potter to my first birth and I couldn't even listen to my husband read. It just took too much focus, so even if you have time to watch, you might not be in the right state of mind.

I hope your feet come down for you. Mine didn't swell until after giving birth. Good luck!

I guess October 10th 7lbs 11oz.

Tara Bennett said...

Oh Michelle those poor feet! Now remember, the dr told you not to go to work because you should relax.... so just remove a few things for your 'to do' list. You will have to get used to doing this anyway once the little one gets here! I voted for Gilmore Girls - a personal fave that I happened to have in my dvd player as I type this. It's Luke, I just love him!

Heather said...

Is that a pic of your foot? Or a bear foot? Seriously, is that a pic of your foot in which it isn't as puffy as it has been? I mean, that is a really puffy foot. Get Gilmore Girls and I have The War documentary that might be interesting...

Becky said...

THOSE FEET ARE SO SAD! Thankles...try neckankles. Oh girl! Take the above advice and DO NOT plant fall bulbs! Just sit in the tub all day!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shelly said...

Ditto to all of the above! The nice thing is that you can safely deliver at anytime. Murphy's law says that if you're ready, the baby won't come until a week after your due date. So for the sake of your feet and to foil stupid Murphy's Law, just pack the bag and relax!

Good luck!

Mrs. Bennett said...

The pic of the foot was taken maybe a week before my doctor visit. Believe it or not they were much much worse! They are getting better though as I put them up and watch dumb TV.

Karen said...

OH
MY
GOSH!

Your feet are making my feet hurt! I only swelled really bad with Matty and it was so uncomfortable. I used to have fun leaving my thumb prints in the tops of my feet. Remember that your feet need to be higher than your heart to attain the most relief. I'm so sorry. I'm seriously sad for you right now, but it's almost over. I remember watching my ankles return in the hospital bed. They recovered quite quickly if that makes you feel any better. I'm glad David came back, I'm glad you are staying home ... and I'll be glad if you stay down.

I think this baby is going to be born Tuesday the 14th at 4:10 a.m. weighing 8 lb., 2 oz.

We're all thinking about you!

Becky said...

Oh, I didn't leave my guesses. What will I win?

Oct. 18, 12:05 am
8 lbs, 6 oz

Anonymous said...

Now you know how I feel with the fat *ss feet! Welcome to my whirl!!!

Love,
Nate

Jamie said...

Those are some ugly feet. You better keep off those things or they might explode. Take it easy girl.
Jamie

alcorrea5 said...

Oh, my word! Seriously, take it easy. Let Dave and Jasper pack the bag, clean the house and plant the fall bulbs. I hope the baby drops soon! As for guesses and what to watch...I couldn't even breathe without Alex's face in mine to remind me to breathe, so TV was definitely out. But I like a good kick butt series like Alias. I say October 13th. Best wishes!

Erika @ Andover ClOthing said...

you better be reading this while sitting down with your feet UP! forget the clean house, the fall bulbs, etc. those can wait!

my guess: October 11
7 lbs. 8 oz.

The Rookie said...

Oh, Michelle! Forget fall bulbs, honey! Or make David do it. I say this baby's going to come on Saturday early morning. 7 lbs. 5 oz.

Laura said...

Sleep sleep sleep. It will be the last moments of your life that you can actually sleep. ( except that being 9 months pregnant means you have to pee 5 times a night)

my guess is Oct. 12th

weight 8 lbs 4oz

Miss Stace said...

one word - Elephantitis....


Baby born - Oct 19th.

Weight 8lbs 1oz

Anne-Marie said...

The baby will be born October 16, 2008 at 10:16 a.m. and he will weigh 9lbs and be happy and healthy