September 7, 2009

On the move


Jackson is on the move! He crawls about a mile a minute and has taken his first few steps! I've unsuccessfully tried and tried to get photographic evidence of his walking attempts, but he is very stubborn and will only do it when he feels like it - which is normally when I forgot my camera.


He also says "Hi!" and loves to do it while holding a cell phone up to his face.


He loves to go through my purse and taste everything inside of it.



Although still picky and stubborn when it comes to eating, he does love spaghetti.




And then there's this guy. This is Jasper as a baby, I'm not exactly sure how old. We have this picture sitting in a frame in our front room, Jackson loves to try to eat it almost daily.
He's still just as cute.

Jasper is 10 - and he is still afraid of the dark. I really don't know how common this is. I never had my own room as a kid, I always shared with a sister so I don't know how afraid I would have been in a room by myself at his age. He always wants his light on in his room, a radio on, his door open and our door open. I'm would be fine with all of that (we need our door closed though, sorry!), except keeping the light on also keeps him awake, or he wakes up in the middle of the night and knocks on our door at 2 am. It was so much worse when he first came to live with us, but we eventually got him to stop needing a light on in his room. But last month he changed his mind and insists on a lamp again. I could deal with this fine - but soon David will finish the basement (not soon enough), and then his room is going to be down there, and I know its just going to get so much worse. I've been talking up the basement, trying to make it seem so exciting to have his room down there, but I see the dread in his eyes. He has already asked me "um, why can't Jackson just have his room down there and I can stay up there with you guys?" I just know it is going to be a rocky move for him. Have any of you gone through something similar?


4 comments:

alcorrea5 said...

I am guessing you have already tried a nightlight. Maybe a special stuffed animal -- a big one that would fight off the frights like a lion, gorrilla,dragon but still manly. Touch his head when you check on him so he knows you came. Read ten minutes with him at night. This leaves your adultness in the room. Remind him that you guys are the adults and protectors not the other way around.

Tara Bennett said...

OH MY HECK. I LOVE that picture of Jasper! I want to put a copy of it in my front room too! How exciting that Jackson is finding his way in the world. Good luck keeping up!!!

Becky said...

Tell him you have monster locks. That's what we told megan (ha ha). THey are invisible, and humans put them on and monsters can't get it. Works for a 4 year old.

molly bay said...

Um, I can totally remember still needing the light on when I was 11 - no joke. Always a scaredy cat. Augie was the same way. I'll ask my mom what tricks she had up her sleeve. My parents were suckers though, I spent many a night on their floor!!!!