April 24, 2010

Quiet Book

I came across this blog


and now I totally want to make a quiet book for church. I almost hate church right now because Jackson is very much a toddler. Stickers, snacks and crayons keep him busy for a little while, but we have to take him out to the foyer every Sunday and it causes me severe stress and anxiety.

Luckily he is old enough for nursery this coming Sunday! I am stoked, and hope he LOVES it, and doesn't cry when we leave him there.

Anyway, I want to make a quiet book, and this blog looks AWESOME. It gives all the instructions and ideas.

However - I'm having doubts. Mainly because:
  • I have no working sewing machine (its on my list of things to fix that cost money).
  • I am not crafty
  • I am not patient and have been known to throw things across the room that don't work.
  • This weekend I hemmed my IKEA curtains - using NO SEW hem, and am so good at crafty stuff that I cut off 18 inches too much! Yeah, I was pretty angry after that.
  • I am already looking on ETSY for one that I can just buy, but none of them look as good as this one I could make and I am also too cheap.
Hmm.

I'll keep you posted.



6 comments:

The Dummers said...

I LOVE it!! I have a working sewing machine if you want to combine efforts and make a couple together... I'm wondering if that is just one more thing that Will is going to throw and hit the Walkers in the head with. Love it anyway.

Shelly said...

So cool. And I'm so jealous that Jackson is nursery age. Sooooo jealous.

Becky said...

Not to be a downer...and this is just my opinion....but that quiet book looks like A LOT of work for something that probably won't get played with a lot. I got a quiet book from the Goodwill and my kids played with it for a few weeks, and then they were done with it. That is just my experience but I would buy one rather than put all that work into one and have it get played with twice.
I used to use those file folder games a lot and my kids liked those. THose are the ones that you put on manila folders and then velcro the things on...like matching colors, etc. You can buy the books at Deseret book or at a teacher supply store. The velcro can be LOUD thought (especially during sacrament passing time) which is why I eventually phased those out as well.
He'll outgrow this stage (in about 5 years...) and then things will be so much easier! Don't worry too much about taking him out, it's okay.
love ya!

Becky said...

p.s. get some different pop-up books or lift the flap books. That will be just as entertaining for him as the quiet book. I've gotten a lot at goodwill or even Deseret book has church themed ones that even my older kids still look through.
Or get those lace-up things that have shapes and you put the shoelace in and out. Those keep Lindsay entertained.
This too shall pass......

alcorrea5 said...

It's cute. But I learned you are way more stressed than anyone else is and for all if not most of those around, he's a 'cutie patutie'. Once he gets used to Nursery, it works great because he has something to look forward to -- seeing friends and playing. I am all for cheep-o flap books. We had like eight and I'd rotate them each week. Then as they got to be three, paper and crayons and/or magnadoodles worked fantastic. Even the Friend has some interesting pictures that can entertain.

Melanie M. McKinnon said...

i wish i had the know-how and wherewithall to make the quiet book. i love the site though.