April 22, 2008

St. George

This past weekend, we all went to St. George to visit Heather. We had such a great time! I took a ton of pictures, and of course my camera is not letting me upload anything onto the computer for some reason. I'll get them posted eventually.


Some of the highlights of the weekend included:

  • Hiking

  • Swimming

  • Watching "The Apple Dumpling Gang"

  • David and Jasper both ate ants. Although not my highlight, definitely Jasper's.

  • Visiting Sister, Heather's horse

  • Seeing a brand new baby horse at the "Horse Motel" where Sister lives

  • Flying paper airplanes

  • Playing on two of the many playgrounds in Heather's gated community. One of the playgrounds had a glider - which Jasper LOVED, and the other had a rock climbing wall.

  • Playing catch

  • Having a picnic



Another of Jasper's highlights was also a gift given to him by Heather.

She gave him The Dangerous Book for Boys by Conn and Hal Iggulden. As soon as he opened the book his eyes got HUGE. It tells boys how to do wonderful things like fold paper airplanes, build a go-cart, what the rules of rugby are, how to use Morse code, how to build a tree house, coin tricks, etc.

One of my favorite parts from the book reads:

ADVICE ABOUT GIRLS

You may already have noticed that girls are quite different fro m you. By this, we do not mean the physical differences, more the fact that they remain unimpressed by your master of a game involving wizards, or your understanding of Morse code. Some will be impressed, of course, but as a general rule, girls do not get quite as excited by the use of urine as a secret ink as boys do.


8 comments:

The Rookie said...

I LOVE that book--it is such a fun read and unique idea. I love that it gives a zillion and one alternatives to watching television or playing video games. It is filled with the childhood every boy deserves to have...but these days don't seem to get it. It makes me so happy that Jasper was excited about it!

Heather, though I've never met her, is a fine aunt indeed. :)

How are you all doing? We need to get together some time and create a beautiful Mrs. Bennett-esque layout for your bloggy.

Mrs. Bennett said...

I want a beautiful mrs. bennet-esque layout, please!

Karen said...

The Appley Dumpling Gang = My all time favorite movie ... ever.

Heather lives in a gated community = lucky!

Eating ants = typical boys.

That Book = My favorite!

The weekend = Awesome family.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Heather said...

Uh...I don't live in a gated community. It has no gate. It is called "Coral Canyon" though and it is a big development with HOA fees, which includes the use of a clubhouse with a couple of pools, exercise room, etc., along with several nice parks. No gate though!

I'm glad Jasper likes the book! Come again soon. Promise?

Melanie M. McKinnon said...

that is a great book. robby got is as a bday present before gus was born. we will probably still use it with gracie but i got 'the daring book for girls' just in case.

LORI said...

I love how you treat Jasper like your own. You truly love him and respect him. Great work!

I love you for all of this!!

Lori

Shiloh McKinnon said...

Ryan would love that book! Have to check into that. I LOVE The Apple Dumpling Gang! I was just thinking how I wanted to get it so Kadence could appreciate "Real" Disney Movies. Although I guess she kinda already does. She is a HUGE Mary Poppins fan!